Apple is expanding the features in its Maps app and rolling out a revamped map for New York and other Northeastern areas following the launch of iOS 13. In addition, the rollout is expanding west to cover West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and North Illinois, according to a Monday report from MacRumors. The updated map includes broader road network coverage, better pedestrian data, more accurate addresses and more detailed land cover. Users will also see a more realistic view of buildings, parks, marinas and beaches.
for Maps in June at its annual in San Jose, California. For the past several years, the company has been as it works to lure people away from other apps like Google Maps and Waze.
The more detailed maps were already available in parts of California. As of Monday, the new maps will cover New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maryland, Delaware, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Washington, DC, and parts of Virginia and West Virginia. Apple plans to have revamped maps out to the rest of the US by the end of the year and internationally by 2020.
In addition to a more detailed map view, some other new Maps features include:
- Look Around. The feature, which lets you pan around 360 degrees (think Google Street View but made by Apple), is now available in all five boroughs of New York City.
- Siri Natural Language Guidance. The voice assistant now provides natural-sounding directions in NYC. For example, Siri will say “turn left at the next traffic light,” instead of “turn in 1,000 feet.”
- Collections. Available with iOS 13, collections let you build shareable lists of your favorite places or places you want to visit in a city.
- Real-time transit. Also part of iOS 13, this feature provides real-time information like live departure times, outages and cancellations. Maps also now includes more detailed transit schedules so you can browse stops and connections in advance.
- Share ETA. This lets you . Maps can update those who received the original message if a significant delay occurs. The new map can also notify them when you’re arriving.
- Indoor maps for airports and malls. Available starting Monday, you can get a detailed look inside malls around the country and airports around the world.
Originally published Sept. 30, 11:11 a.m. PT.
Update, 11:34 a.m. PT: Adds more information. Update, Oct. 14: Adds more information.
Source from www.cnet.com